My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

01 November 2013

the Lord provides

If you read yesterday's post, you might have wondered if I made it through the day. Well, would you believe that not half an hour after I finished writing it, Caleb walked back in the door? After encountering a small amount of car trouble, he ended up not being able to make it to work. So he came home!

This meant that I had help. I didn't have to dog proof the house, get everyone dressed, load up the whole clan in the car ... just to take Josie 7 minutes down the road to her speech class. And then do it all again less than an hour later to pick her up. All that running around with the kids can be the most exhausting parts of my day. I got to take a long hot shower, with the door not only closed, but locked! Then later, Caleb made my lunch. And the best part of all? I got to take a nap. I slept for nearly 3 hours.

At Bible study this week we studied the chapters in Genesis where Abraham sends his servant to his homeland to find a wife for Isaac. There is a section in there where the servant prays he would be directed by the Lord, and while he was still praying, the Lord answers his prayer ... and he meets Rebekah. That's how I feel about what happened yesterday morning. I had barely begun to wonder how I was going to make it through the day when the door opened, revealing the answer in the form of my handsome husband.

I'm sure I could have managed the day yesterday. Yeah, I was tired, and I didn't feel good, but we could have made it through. However, we serve a God who longs to bless us beyond what we can think or imagine. His care for me is not just about "making it through," but about blessing beyond what I think I need. It might seem a simple, small thing, but Caleb being home yesterday was the absolute best thing that could have happened to me. We serve a good God.

I'm curious to watch God bless me in other ways like this as we move toward surgery and treatment. Today, for instance, I'm not only fighting cancer, but I'm fighting a nasty head cold and headache, and I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night. (Eowyn is like the Jekyl and Hyde of babies ... perfect baby by day, not-so-perfect baby by night.) There's dishes and laundry to do, and I still want to finish some crafts for Mary Roseanne's. I'm home alone with the munchkins, so there will be no 3-hour nap. But hey, Josie's class was canceled today, so I don't have to load up kids and make any trips out. And so far the big girls are having a good morning, and Eowyn is back asleep for her morning nap. So ... tired as I might be, the Lord is my strength. He continues to show me that He will provide, even in the smallest ways. So I expect He'll do the same today.

No comments: