My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

23 July 2007

the wholly unexpected

Its raining in Southern California today ... on July 23rd. I feel a bit like I've woken up in an alternate universe. It couldn't seem to produce itself in the middle of Winter, but here we are, in the desert in summer, and its raining. Its not really enough to wash the dirt off my car, more the kind of sprinkling that just smears the dust around, leaving my car dirtier than it was before the rain came. I've always found that such an anomaly.

I'm not complaining, mind you. Anyone remotely interested in weather is aware of the fact that Southern California is experiencing some serious drought conditions these days, and that fires are raging all over the western U.S. In fact, I wonder if God has simply answered the prayers of the firefighters. Well, and Caleb finally washed his truck this weekend, so I suppose the rain was inevitable. Its just so ... weird.

My cousin Joy's birthday is today. She's 31. Happy Birthday Joy! I wonder if it ever rained on her birthday before. I bet this is a first. It'll be one of those stories she'll tell during numerous birthdays to come, as though a benchmark for the passing of time. "That was the year it rained on my birthday, the year I turned 31." She'll mock being annoyed when the kids ask every year for the story about the rain in July, but secretly love telling the story for the 100th time.

Its fun to look out the window of my office and see it gloomy outside. If we pump up the air conditioning just enough in the office, maybe we can even pretend like it's Winter. I love moments in the middle of one season that feel like the opposite. Maybe today should be Opposites Day. Hm, wish I'd thought of that earlier. On Opposites Day I wouldn't come to work. Oh well. I wonder what would be involved in getting someone (the President?) to declare a true "Opposites Day Holiday." That would be a cool holiday. I'm sure Hallmark would want in on the action. They seem to have some pull when it comes to creating holidays. I should probably start with them, the Holiday Creations department of Hallmark.

So, Happy Monday everyone. Happy raining Monday, that is. I don't think there'll be enough rain to allow us to jump around in puddles later, but be in awe as you gaze on your probably just-washed vehicle, and try to enjoy the fact that it wouldn't be that dirty if it hadn't rained in July in Southern California. May the anomaly leave you in wonder, as well as motivated to help me figure out getting Opposites Day declared official.

No comments: