My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

23 July 2007

thoughts of late

I love the word "druthers." Did you know it is derived from the contraction "I'd ruther"? That's the colloquial pronunciation of "rather." So when someone says, "If I had my druthers, I'd go skipping in the rain today," it means, "If I had my way ... if I could do what I want ... If all my dreams came true, I would go skipping in the rain today." Druthers. Its a great word.

I have discovered two new musical talents lately whose music I greatly enjoy. Wait. Make that three. First, did you know Minnie Driver, the actress, also sings? And she's quite good! She has a new album out. I've only heard one song, called "My Beloved." Its one of my new favorites, sweet and melodic and old-fashioned sounding. Second, a man named Ari Hest has a song in which he actually uses the word "druthers." Its called "I've Got You," and it IS my favorite song right now. Its another slow but sweet "I'd like to get up and sway-dance with my husband" kind of listening. The third is Quincy Coleman. She has a nice lounge-like sound, and I don't mean Wayne Newton lounge, but like Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra and Etta James kind of lounge. I picture a giant microphone and a red satin dress, and yet somehow a casual setting. She's fabulous.


I've started reading this series of books by Jasper Fforde (yes, two f's) called The Thursday Next novels. They're about a female detective who moves in and out of novels as though they were countries to be visited, and solves crimes involving the mixture of these two worlds. They're fun mysteries, with plenty of action mixed with literary references. I've only read the first, called The Eyre Affair (where she saves Jane Eyre from being murdered by an evil genius). I recommend it to any and all action-literature lovers.


Oh, and yes, I bought one of those 8.3 million copies of the last Harry Potter book that sold in the first 24 hours it was on sale. I love being part of history. Well, and I can't wait to find out what happens to Harry.


We have a hibiscus plant out on our patio that Caleb and I practically treat like a child. Its watered carefully, and watched over ... watchfully. And every time a new flower appears, the one who discovered it usually calls over to the one on the couch and says, "Hey, we got another flower!" And the one on the couch comes running to ooh and ahh over the new bright yellow flower. A piece of happiness.


I think I've finally settled on the curtains I want in my home. This might seem mundane to you, but to me, its one of the most exciting decisions I've made in a long time. Has my life become that domestic? Perhaps. But I love it.


I've decided that I absolutely love knitting. My husband and brother-in-law have named me "The Furious Knitter," like a superhero. Knitting has become my new nightly hobby. Once I crocheted, but now I knit. I haven't completely abandoned crocheting. But with knitting I can finish an entire project in just a few nights. A hat, a scarf, mittens or even a baby sweater ... not only are my options greatly increased from the once-single choice of afghan or ... afghan, but projects can be completed so quickly! It appeals so much to my schizophrenic self, who's usually coming up with a new project I want to do 1/4 of the way through a current project, making said current project difficult to finish, because I get so anxious to start the next project. What would you like me to make for you?


So goes life of late. Not a lot of depth I suppose, and yet, isn't life made up of the ins and outs of the everyday? If we waited for only the big moments, we'd only pay attention to life 5-8 times in 100 years. I believe its in the everyday that life is lived ... in the gifts knitted for family, the song that touches your heart and makes you want to dance, the weather that causes confusion, the book that makes you laugh or cry, the movie you share with a friend, the flowers that make you smile. These are the things I love about life. Perhaps because they are the very ingredients that make life so worth living.

1 comment:

Amy Hammer said...

You're so damn poetic. (I think I'll curse in each comment I make) And hello!??! Minnie Driver plays at the Hotel Cafe that Hans and I frequent. You want to come to a show? That would be soooo fun!

Ohh, and can I borrow Eyre Affair?