My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

04 March 2013

Shocking Sugar Stats

So, yesterday I decided to eat like normal, for the most part, and just count how many grams of sugar I eat on an average day. I made a couple of good choices, and I skipped the donut at church and the soda with lunch ... but we did eat out for lunch. And then I couldn't pass up the candy in the check-out line at JoAnn's and bought Reese's Sticks. And, I get that there are other issues with burgers and fries, but for now, we're focusing on sugar. (Also, this is not all I ate yesterday, just everything with added sugar.)

Breakfast smoothie: 16.5 grams (in the 1/2 Cup of vanilla yogurt)
Coffee creamer: 10 grams (5 per Tbsp)
French Fries: < 1
Onion Rings: 14 grams (28 grams per full serving from The Habit)
Cheeseburger: 8 grams (presumably in the bun and various sauces)
Reese's Sticks: 17 grams
Tortilla: 1 gram
Baked Pop chips: 3 grams per serving
Girl Scout Cookies: 16 grams (8 grams per 2 cookies)

So, all told, I ingested 86 grams of sugar yesterday, 56 grams more than the recommended daily amount! It was interesting to find sugar in things where I wouldn't normally have looked for it: the burger, the onion rings, the tortilla. Other things are completely obvious, like the chocolate and coffee creamer.

Today my goal is to be as intentional as possible to cut down on the amount of sugar. I've already changed my smoothie recipe and cut the vanilla yogurt in half. I just added more greek yogurt instead, better for you anyway. And now my morning smoothie has just 8 grams of added sugar. Not bad!

Not sure what to do about my coffee ... because I NEED my coffee. Today I'll probably just try and cut the sugar from other places. Onward and upward!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The hidden sugars in processed foods are the biggest challenge! Especially if the food is labeled "low fat" or "low salt"! They often add sugar to make it tastier. The reverse is true for anything labeled "low sugar;" fat/salt is added to enhance the flavor. Another thing to be aware of is that sugar is addictive! The best bet is eating foods in their most natural state: e.g., fresh fruit and veggies. Replacing white sugar with "natural" things like honey doesn't help either. It's still added sugar. I'll be praying for you on your journey! Your MIL!