My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

09 August 2011

Sea World

On Saturday we braved messing with the nap schedule and drove down to Sea World to spend the day there with my family. Hans and Amy drove down with us and we met my parents and Jon and Julie and their kids down there. Really bad traffic ruined all my plans for the kids to sleep on the way down ... they didn't fall asleep till we finally hit 60 mph, about 25 minutes before we reached Sea World. However, despite the short naps, they both did surprisingly well.


The first thing we saw when we got there was a demonstration at one of the Shamu tanks that we could see from the sidewalk. Josie couldn't be pulled away and kept repeating "really big whale" and pointing and clapping. From there we saw dolphins and starfish and aquariums and turtles. After dinner we stopped by the Sesame Street area and went on the Elmo ride. The kids loved it, and did pretty good standing in line for nearly an hour! (Sea World could take a few notes from Disneyland on how to get people through a ride ... especially small children!)

We ended the night at "Shamu Rocks," the night time Shamu show. Josie sat on my lap and clapped every time the whale jumped out of the water. It was one of those fun moments that seem so rare with my tantrum-throwing 2-year-old these days. It was probably my favorite time of the day. And then because there was no traffic on the way home, the girls slept the whole way! They're still recovering today, 3 days later ... as am I, I admit. It was a long day. But we had fun. My sister took the few pictures below (I accidentally left my camera in the car ... which was practically parked in Mexico, so I didn't go back to get it). Enjoy!

Jon got a hold of Amy's camera.

Henry, waiting for Shamu Rocks to start. Can you even believe how big he's gotten? He's been walking a while now, and is all over the place!

Me and Josie in line for the Elmo ride. Oh yeah ... I cut her hair!

Still waiting for Elmo ...

Hans and Maddie ... waiting for Elmo.

Grandpa with Eleanor and all her rolls. (Yes, they're like an accessory.)

Caleb and Josie.

On the way back to the cars, Amy joined Maddie in the stroller. And a good time was had by all! Oh, my mom was there too, but Amy didn't have any good pics of her. Sorry Mom! If I'd had my camera, we'd have had too many of you to count. ;)

No comments: