My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

22 July 2010

a night on the town

Making a baby, working part time and watching a very active 13-month old the rest of the time leaves me with few opportunities (and little energy) to get out of the house sans diaper bag and a somewhat disheveled look to my hair. Don't get me wrong, I try to get enough sleep and to really take the time to blow dry my hair in the mornings ... but I rarely succeed. And most days, I wonder at the point of it anyway.

However, for my birthday, my brother, sis-in-law, sister, and bro-in-law gave me a night out on the town! On Tuesday night after work I got myself a little gussied up (I put earrings on) and headed down to Amy's in Long Beach. We had dinner at a hole-in-the-wall non-Vietnamese Vietnamese restaurant called Number Nine. The food was DELISH, and it was good for my soul to have some good old fashioned girl talk with one of my favorite girls, my sister. Then we started the hour-long drive into L.A. to the Largo for a concert! A concert. I can't even remember the last concert I went to. I think it had something to do with Garth Brooks though ...




We arrived at the Largo just in time to catch the beginning of a show featuring Katie Herzig and Ben Taylor. We were mostly there to see Katie, and boy did she not disappoint! She sounded great, even better than the CD, with great stage presence. The theater only sat about 200, and the small setting lent itself to a truly intimate feeling to the evening. We had second-row seats, too, which was awesome.

Katie played an acoustic guitar and sang, bandmate Claire played the cello and sang back up, and bandmate Jordan played the accordian, two electric guitars, the clarinet and a ukelele, and sang back up. I am in awe of such musical talent. Their sound was polished and clean, and they did so much with their instruments you'd think there was a full band accompanying them at times. The other thing I really liked about Katie was her lyrics. They're thoughtful and insightful. If you've never had a chance to hear her stuff, I recommend you give it a go. Here's her website. She has that quiet, soulful, unique, meaningful singer-songwriter thing going for her.

We listened in on Ben Taylor for a few songs. He wasn't exactly our style, but he had great stage presence and I really liked his voice. He is James Taylor's son, but even if you didn't know that, you'd wonder about it just by looking at him. They're identical!

I soaked it all in, fighting back the violent yawns, and enjoyed every moment of my evening out. Thanks to Amy, with whom I always have an awesome time, and also to David, Rachel and Hans for the awesome birthday present!

No comments: