My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

05 May 2010

The Lady Eleanor

A few years back I was not a knitter. I loved all things yarn, but kept my creative projects confined mostly to crocheted afghans. But one night when Caleb and I went down to Borders for an evening of book perusal, I found myself in the craft section. And I came across this book.



Scarf Style. In it were patterns for some of the most exquisite scarves I'd ever seen. I could make these ... if only I knew how to knit! And so, right there in the aisle at Borders, I determined I would learn. I bought the book as inspiration and embarked on a journey that would become a passion for all things knitted.

It took me a few years to get good enough to even attempt many of the patterns in this book, but good enough I have become. There's one particular pattern in here I've been longing to try, The Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole. (This is the pic from the book.)


Isn't it lovely?! And last Christmas I received a gift of cash in an amount sufficient for the purchase of good yarn for this specific project. So I did it, I bought the Noro Silk Garden yarn. It took me days to decide on the colorway, as there were so many pretty ones. I finally settled on the one you see here:


As Caleb and I head off to Yosemite for our anniversary trip, I'm anticipating a LOT of hours in the car ... a great time to get started on a nice long project. I won't have it finished by the end of the trip. In fact, knowing me I won't finish this winter stole until October or November (I'll get distracted by other more immediate projects). But it will be well worth the wait! And one day I'll show you the finished product, and just how awesome a hobby knitting can be.

No comments: