My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

03 September 2008

the first gift sweater

For Amy's birthday this year I really wanted to knit her something. But it was becoming a huge challenge to choose something I thought she might like, and then since it was the first time knitting for someone else I was nervous about it coming out the right size and proportion and all that. When you prepare to spend 40-50 hours hand-making a garment, you want to be pretty certain the finished piece will be well received. Well, whether she remembers it or not, several weeks ago this was a pattern she said she liked ... so I got her measurements and dove in. Last night she was over and I decided to have her take a look and try it on, even though it hasn't been washed yet and has no buttons. And low and behold, it fits! And its actually perfect! And she loves it! Sorry for all the exclamation marks, but the finished product actually exceeded even my own expectations. Maybe I'm getting better after all ...

She's as excited as me that it fits!

This picture shows the sleeves a little better. They're super cute, if I do say so myself.

This is the detail of the hexagon pattern.

Another shot ... imagine buttons and you'll imagine the finished sweater!

Lucy likes it too!

2 comments:

km said...

This really came out so cute. And it fits great! What a special sister gift.

Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi,

I know I have heard Kenny say that Amy and Kelly look alike but I never saw it until today. The picture on your sidebar ("Bridal Shower") I honestly thought it was Kelly:) The hammer genes are strong!
I hope you are doing well. I have enjoyed your blog and I love the little sweater you made for Amy. They should do a knitting reality tv show:)
Lots of Love from Seattle,
Devin Day