My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

01 August 2007

no spoilers, i promise

I will quickly admit to the fact that I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I have LOVED the books, and even enjoyed the movies (which, as with most movies-from-books, leave out so much good stuff). As soon as I could pre-order The Deathly Hallows from Amazon, I did. And then it came, arrived on my doorstep precisely on July 21. I had madly finished another book I was reading the night before, so I would be ready.

It took me over a week to finish the 753 or so pages. It was a busy week, which is why it took so long. But as much as I wanted to get to the end, I was also greatly enjoying being in the midst of the story, and knew I would be sad when it was finally over. So I didn't mind taking my time a bit.

And then, yesterday, I finished it. I finally finished the epic tale of the Boy-Who-Lived, Harry Potter, as he navigated seven years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, as he fought the evil Lord Voldemort and grew from boyhood into a man. And what an epic journey it has been! The last book, The Deathly Hallows, was so good I want to re-read it right away! But I'm going to give myself some space and time, and then maybe even start from the beginning, from the Sorcerer's Stone, and travel with Harry through all his adventures once again.


Not only has J.K. Rowling woven a brilliant story of good vs. evil, she did it in a supremely imaginative way. If you haven't read any of the books, I urge you to do so. Even if you've seen the movies, you will find yourself easily lost in the world of Hogwarts, Quidditch, and wizardry. And as with all books-made-into-movies, the written version is so much fuller and better.

The final book details Harry, Ron and Hermione's quest to finally destroy Voldemort. I won't give it away, but I might say this book is my favorite of them all. It could be because it finally brings closure to these characters' lives, these characters we've all come to know and love over the years. But I think she also wraps the story in exactly the perfect way. Harry's tale couldn't have ended more appropriately, poignantly, or powerfully. He proves himself the hero we've all hoped he would become.

I know I'm gushing a little much over a fictional story, but what can I say? Rowling is an amazing author, drawing you into her stories as though they WERE your friends and family. And though the books have come to an end, I still look forward to the last two movies. Who's with me on opening night?!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Funny, I just finished the book last night too! Wow! I loved it and was a little sad that it was over all though I completely agree that it was wrapped up just the way it should have been. I wasn't one bit dissapointed.