My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

18 June 2007

monday, monday

MAN, I'm tired today. Its 9:14, I'm at work ... and I think the only reason I haven't fallen asleep on my keyboard is the rather intense fear of embarrassment that would ensue ... with impressions of letters and numbers and the shift key all over the side of my face, drool leaking into the keyboard. Why am I so tired today? I didn't have an overly busy weekend (though I wasn't really home much). I was asleep by 10:30 last night. I actually started to wake up BEFORE the alarm went off at 5:40 this morning ... and yet I sit here at my desk wondering just how I got here. I don't remember showering, dressing, driving to work. And yet here I sit, my desk riddled with piles expecting me to make them smaller.

Could it just be that its Monday? I mean, Monday has always been a troublemaker. When you add to that the fact that I have to be up in the early morning, its sometimes a lethal combination. Could there be a worse time of the week than Monday Morning? I propose there is not.

I think I need to go get some coffee. Be right back.

Mmmmm ... that's better.

Experience has taught me the only really tried and true way to kick the Monday weariness is to get to Tuesday. I think Tuesday might be one of my favorite days of the week, simply because its not Monday, and it means Monday is another 6 days away ... the farthest away you can get from Monday.

But just what is it that makes Monday so ... Monday? I think a big part of it is I wish I had more weekend. Weekends are about rest, sleep, getting things done I don't otherwise have time to get done, tossing responsibility to the wind and staying up late, sleeping in late, reading magazines and watching movies. You see, Monday cuts my weekend shorter than I think it should be. By Sunday night I'm just getting into the groove of the weekend and then BAM! its 5:40 Monday morning and the alarm goes off and no matter how gently my husband tries to nudge me out of bed, I still consider him the meanest person I've ever known. (I'm so sorry! Its the sleep talking!)

The coffee (though decaf) is beginning to work its magic. Monday is now 9 1/2 hours over, and I have Tuesday to look forward to. As I begin to finally wake up, that thought alone is helping me push through the morning. Tomorrow I also intend to remember that Joel (my coworker) and I had made a decision last week to dress casual this week. I simply can't be expected to remember things like that on a Monday morning as I go through the motions, putting on my dress slacks and heels. But tomorrow, blessed Tuesday, I will remember. I can't wait to remember, and put on my jeans and tennies tomorrow morning, blissful in the knowledge that I survived yet another Monday, and I don't even have to face one for another 6 days. Yes, Tuesday promises to be happier ... I'm just sure of it.

No comments: