My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

11 February 2014

chemo ... take me away!

No matter what extraordinary circumstances might be taking place in your life, Life still seems to think it can go on as usual. Even though I have chemo treatment #4 looming tomorrow, I find myself not only mired in the daily grind, but dealing with a few extras as well. Let me share.

On Sunday both Ella and I came down with the flu. It was a nasty 10 hours, but fortunately it was short-lived. My wonderful and handsomely-bearded husband took great care of us all.


Yesterday everyone seemed healthy and we thought maybe nobody else had caught it ... until Eowyn woke up around 9:30 last night having thrown up in her bed. I was up with her until 3 a.m. last night, waiting for her to finally stop vomiting. She did, and then I got about four hours of sleep. But I'm supermom, right? Sleep is for sissies.


Eowyn is better this morning, but Ella, who was better yesterday, is running a fever today and complaining about her ear. Awesome. She has spent most of the day on the couch with garlic in her ear, eating waffles and watching TV.

Fortunately, Josie and Caleb are still the picture of health. Hopefully it stays that way. Did I mention I have chemo tomorrow? We don't need any more sickies in this house.

And on top of all this nonsense is the seemingly never-ending battle with the flea infestation in our house! This requires daily vacuuming and cleaning, which I am literally incapable of keeping up with. Therefore I am constantly losing this battle and my kids are being eaten alive. Its difficult to express just how frustrating this is, except I kind of want to burn the house down and just move.

Extreme? Perhaps. Effective? Definitely.

Then there are the "simple" daily tasks of laundry and dishes and feeding children and changing diapers and balancing the check book (which today refuses to balance and is driving me crazy!) and ... wait, I still have to feed myself! I'm not sure the quarter of a waffle and few chocolate chip cookies I've had count as lunch.

All I know is its a good thing I have chemo tomorrow. I get to leave this crazy house for a few hours, enter a land where skilled and caring nurses will ask me how I'm doing, bring me cookies and juice, place me in a comfy chair, and let me be for a few hours. I intend to drink fancy coffee and settle in with Anne of Green Gables and let my worries be killed by the drugs. Who knew chemotherapy would be something I could so look forward to?

No comments: