My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

27 April 2012

Longest Half Hour Ever

First, Ella refused to nap. And I needed her to nap because I needed to nap! (You see, Ella had me up this morning before 6 a.m., so we were BOTH tired enough for a good nap .... or so I thought.) But twice, just after I'd drifted off, she started yelling from her room. Not the best way for a tired Mama to start the afternoon. I finally decided to give up and get her up. Then I realized she was poopy (which may explain the non-napping, but at this point, that no longer matters). So, I go back to her room to get more wipes and a diaper, at which time the fun begins ....

This all started because I left the hall door open. So as I was grabbing diaper and wipes, Ella decided to walk right into Josie's room, where she was sound asleep. This woke up Josie, which made Josie mad (it's like waking a monster), so now I have a crying Josie and a poopy, grumpy Ella. I usher them both to the den, holding Josie because she's crying and mad that she was woken up. At this point, Ella has found the brand new bag of wipes on the floor and started pulling them from the container like she's in a race. Josie lets me set her on the couch so I can rescue the wipes and change Ella's diaper. While changing Ella's diaper (which should be an Olympic sport, by the way .... never was there a child who wiggled and fought diaper changing more), I notice that Josie has moved from her spot on the couch ... because somehow she peed and the diaper didn't catch it!!! So now there's a huge pee spot on the couch. So I get Ella changed, set Josie on the floor, who then starts crying because she thinks she's in trouble. I go to her room, grab a diaper, and get her changed. Then I have to strip the couch cushions and throw them in the wash, take the wet cushion and set it outside to dry.

Fast forward about 15 minutes and all is calm again, and I actually have the girls drinking their first spinach smoothies! Josie even requested more when her glass was empty. Score one for Mama. Actually, Mama's overall score is really high today.

At this moment, though, both girls are happy, fed their first nutritious snack in days, and all is well. It would seem my Mama powers are at full strength today, as I handle crisis after crisis on not-enough sleep, macaroni and cheese and a few too many chocolate covered pretzels. At least I had some of that smoothie myself, so I'm feeling like I did something good for me too.

Mama Weston's First-ever Smoothie Recipe that worked on girls who love sweets

Two cups of raw spinach
1 1/2 cups apple juice
Banana
1/2 Cup frozen blueberries

1 comment:

Meghan Elaine said...

Randomly clicked on your blog from Molly's...creepy? Hope not. TOTALLY get this post. And you handled it amazingly. I've had many of those days and I hope I can deal as gracefully as you did :)