My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

23 June 2010

today's KKLA encouragement

I recently signed up for a daily encouragement email from KKLA (local Christian talk radio) and was particularly encouraged by today's short devotional. It spoke to the way I've been going about my days lately, with little thought to their purpose and little motivation to much more than to just get through them. So, I thought I'd share this tiny piece of inspiration. This one is entitled "Search for a Zesty Life" by Rachel Olsen.

"How's your day going so far? I wonder if the weather where you are is pretty or if you woke to clouds and felt a little blue. I wonder if your family, friends, co-workers or boss have aggravated you today. Has it dulled your mood? Are you mulling over an unpleasant interaction, dreading a task, or maybe griping about some aspect of your life this morning?

"I recently read that 80% of working Americans have no passion for their work. Do you find passion or beauty in your work? Be it an office job, a self-employed business, or the business of changing diapers and sweeping up Cheerios; are you reasonably happy as you go about your work? Could you be? What would it take? What about the people in your life - your family, friends, church members, neighbors - have you enjoyed their company today? Or recently? Have you loved the ones you're with?

"I wonder too, have you noticed any beauty today? Have you looked for it? Have you even looked up? God is in the beauty making business. Just glance outside and see what I mean. Even if it's cloudy or rainy, there is beauty to be seen. And felt. And experienced. When did you last take a walk outdoors, maybe through a park or down a shady trail just to enjoy the surroundings? Just to breathe the air.

"We see God's beauty most clearly in creation but you can also see it in the way a mother cradles her baby, or the way a woman looks adoringly at her fiancé, or the way a child splashes joyously through puddles in his rain boots. You can hear it too, in the sound of birds, the sweet whisper of "I love you," or the sound of a choir joining voices in praise. Have you heard it today?

"Throughout the Bible, especially the Psalms, I see a link between joy and worshipping God. I see commands to be joyful, to rejoice, to bless and be blessed. I believe the Bible calls us to cultivate a joyful, "zesty life" that looks for His beauty daily and thanks Him for it. "Who out there has a zest for life? Can't wait each day to come upon beauty?" (Psalm 34:12, MSG).

"Did you wake this morning with an expectation of encountering something of the splendor of God? Did you swing your feet out of bed anticipating enjoying the God-ordained beauty in your day? Are you cultivating a zesty life, or drudging through your days, ticking off your to-dos, oblivious? If you've been less than zesty, or even oblivious, it's not too late. Ask God to open the eyes of your heart today to see and savor Him, in the miraculous and in the mundane.

"Dear Lord, thank You for the beauty You surround each of us with daily. The greens of grass and trees, the reds of tomatoes and strawberries, the smell of the air after a rain. God you are magnificent in Your beauty and goodness! And You're gracious in your blessings. Open my eyes to notice them. In Jesus' Name, Amen."

No comments: