My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

31 May 2010

Lynden, WA

Josephine and I had the opportunity recently to visit my brother and sis-in-law up in Washington for a long weekend. My mom, dad and sister came as well. This made for a full house, which only increased the laughter and fun and good times to be had. The only bummer about the weekend was Josephine getting sick. For two days she fought a fever, diarrhea and no appetite. But, with grandparents, aunts, an uncle and Mom all around to help her through it, she was well cared for. Here's some pics from our time up there. And thanks D&R for such hospitality and a wonderful time!

My mom and Amy picked up my dad, Josie and I at the airport in Seattle ... from which we promptly drove directly to the Art Wolfe Photography gallery. Josie had an entire hallway to herself, and after that long flight needed to get the wiggles out. She also discovered that Art Wolfe might take neat pictures, but he needs to clean his floors a little more often.

After the gallery, Amy and Mom took us to a diner they'd seen featured on Guy Fiere's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. It was called Voula's Offshore Cafe, and we very much enjoyed our meal.

David and Rachel have a nice big backyard, so during one of those rare moments it wasn't raining, or simply too cold to go outside, we played bocce ball!

Josie was kept corralled in the new fire pit David built. She actually had a ball in there.

Due to the weather us Southern Californians weren't used to, we had fun finding indoor games ... like Wii sports. Those who played enjoyed themselves tremendously ....

... but I think those who watched enjoyed themselves even more (note Dad and David in the background). (Apparently ski jumping is all in the shoulders.)

Aunt Amy helping Josie getting some much needed sleep.

Uncle David entertaining an under-the-weather baby.

On Saturday, while Mom graciously stayed at the house to care for Josie, the rest of us headed out to a nearby lake with some kayaks David borrowed from a friend. This is a nice picture of the hat I made myself a few weeks ago, and that's Rachel and Amy in the kayaks below the bridge.

David, me and Dad on the bridge.

After Amy and Rachel came back, my dad and I took a turn in the kayaks. The lake was so quiet and peaceful. I could have stayed out there for hours I think.

It was a wee bit cold, but we managed with hats and jackets and blankets ...

On Saturday night we celebrated Rachel's 24th birthday, complete with homemade dinner, gifts and cake!

On Sunday morning, before we headed to the airport, we stopped at Rachel's coffee shop, The Woods Coffee, (where she is the manager in charge) for breakfast. By this time Josie was feeling much better (though not totally back to herself as she cried almost all the way to the airport instead of sleeping, which she needed). Despite the sick baby and cold weather, we had a wonderful time catching up with David and Rachel and just being together. Can't wait to do it again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can strap some Swiffers to Josie's knees and hands and hire her out as a duster ;-)

Sorry she was so sick, but thankfully you had lots of adults to cuddle her. Can't wait until Sunday!

Gma Dub