My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

30 January 2010

my first quilts

Last summer, after all the baby gifts had come in, I found myself with eight coordinating flannel receiving blankets. One baby does not need all those little blankets, so I decided it was time to learn to quilt, and turn those eight adorable blankets into three adorable quilts. The only problem was ... I'd never made a quilt before. So I talked my mom into teaching me, which didn't take a lot of convincing. I've spent the last six months learning as I go along, and I've finally finished two quilts. I've given one to my new niece Rory and one to Josie. The third I will save to sell. The other quilt you'll see here is for my new nephew Dominic. And now, of course, I've completely caught the quilting bug! (Like I need a new hobby ...)

Receiving blankets cut into 9" squares.

I cut 9" squares, 4 1/2" squares and 3" squares to piece together.



Do you see how Josephine loves it already? I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with myself.

I backed it with this super-cute bird flannel I found at JoAnn's Fabrics. Rory's is backed with a super-cute pink flower flannel.

The future Vanna White.

Close-up of the backing.

Dominic's quilt top (I still need to actually quilt it, add the batting and the backing and the binding, which honestly isn't as hard as I thought it would be).

I love the fabrics for this quilt! And as Dominic grows he can learn about the animals from his own blanket.



When my mom, sister, Josie and I were at a quilt show several weeks ago, I bought a pattern to make a bag, which I'll use as a diaper bag, and these fabrics. I just LOVE these happy kids!

Now I just have to decide how to piece them together. More pictures when it's finished!

4 comments:

joybells said...

They turned out great Heidi. I love Dom's blanket. Way to go, girl.

Rachel said...

You are so talented!!! Seriously, you Hammer girls put the rest of us to shame. I love Josie's blanket and would totally use one like that for Soph. How much do you charge?

Anonymous said...

Love your little model! ;-)

Gma Dub

Amy Louise Stokke said...

You're becoming the Queen of fabrics too! Way to expand your dominion!