My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

06 April 2009

another sorely underrated film, this time for girls



While Caleb was gone I rented a few movies that he wouldn't really mind not getting to see, one of which was Penelope. I didn't have super high hopes for it, as movies like this tend to annoy me, but I'd had a couple people recommend it so I thought I'd give it a shot. And surprisingly enough, I found it rather enjoyable. Christina Ricci does a great job as Penelope, a girl born with a pig's nose because of a generations-old curse on the family.

Her parents fake her death as a baby and then raise her secluded in a mansion. The curse states that as soon as someone loves her the curse will be broken, so the task becomes to find a suitable suitor who will love her and marry her. This, of course, causes all kinds of havoc to ensue, and eventually Penelope runs away, longing to see the world and make real friends.

Eventually, while out in the real world, her true identity is discovered, and she finds that people like her for her, despite her hideous nose. There is a small love story woven into the plot, as well as a few other fun characters that come and go from Penelope's life. And of course, it has a happily ever after ending, including lesson about the power that can be found in loving ourselves, just the way we are.

I'd recommend this one to most girls, pre-teen and teen, and bet their mothers will get a kick out of it too. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

my mom and sisters and i loved this movie. It was surprisingly funny too in all the right ways. I would also recommend it.