My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

18 November 2008

what a weekend

Caleb left Friday afternoon for our church men's retreat, so I had Lucy and home to myself. I don't usually mind a day and a half to myself, in fact I often look forward to it. But this turned out to be a weird weekend, as anyone who lives in Southern California can attest to. I woke up Saturday morning to a beautiful sunny day, but by around noon, the light outside had turned a weird color of orange, and I couldn't figure out why it looked like dusk already. So I went outside to investigate, and found the sun obscured by smoke. I didn't realize that a fire had broken out close to home, so after going outside, I came inside to look for news. There was a fire in Brea, and in Yorba Linda. For the first time since I can remember, fires were actually breaking out close to home. They weren't so close I was in danger, but definitely close enough to get raining ash and remind me of those doomsday scenes in the Terminator movies.

I took this from our patio. This picture was taken about 1:00 in the afternoon. If you want to see another cool photo, my dad has one on his photo website (click on the California album, third picture).

So I closed all the windows in the house and turned on the air conditioning. It didn't totally block out the thick smoke smell, but it certainly helped.

On Saturday evening I went up to my parents house to finish preparing for my first ever knit sale! My mom and I had both created a bunch of children's hats and needed to finish up the last details and then tag and price them all. My dad helped me photograph everything I'd made, because whatever didn't sell I wanted to put up on my new shop on etsy (more details when I get that finished).

The photo shoot set up.

Sunday morning the ash was still really bad, but I took the dog for a walk anyway. I quickly realized I probably shouldn't be out in those conditions, but the dog needed the exercise! We didn't stay out for long. By 11:00 a.m. I was at the house for the boutique, setting up my hats. Its been a long 7 weeks, since I found out about the sale, madly knitting hats in every color combination I could think of. I'd never done anything like this before and I wasn't sure how it would go. I learned a lot, came up with several things I know I need for next time, and actually sold four hats! Go me. My mom sold one. Which is weird, 'cause I thought her stuff was so much cuter than mine. There's a few pictures here of two of the hats that sold. The rest, as I said, will be up on my etsy shop soon.

Caleb came home Sunday while I was at the boutique. It ended around 3:30 when I madly dashed home to be off to our next event, my brother's baptism. We grew up in a Friends church, which doesn't practice baptism regularly (long story), and so every now and then one of us comes to a point in our lives when it seems appropriate to follow through on this form of worship. This weekend it was David's turn. It was a neat thing to be a part of, and if you know my brother's story at all, its just another testament to the life changing power of the love of God.

David being baptized by Joey, his good friend and mentor.

1 comment:

Gypmar said...

Hey, Heidi! Just visited your Etsy shop, and I should think those adorable hats would sell like hotcakes for that price once you get the word out.

I love the gray cloche with the red stripe and stitched flower :) Now I just have to think of a baby to buy it for...