My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

03 October 2008

Patio Upgrade

A couple weeks ago, Hunkyness and I took on the project of upgrading our patio. For a while now we've wanted to build something that would create a bit of a barrier between passers-by and the direct view into our kitchen and dining area. We've felt so exposed! So, with Amy's bachelorette party on the way, I decided it was a perfect opportunity and deadline to finally make it happen. We built benches, bought plants and fertilizer, pots and trellises, and in two weeks we had a very charming patio wall. It will, of course, take another year or two for all those flowers to fill in and actually create some privacy, but that's ok. I love to watch stuff like that grow. Here are the pics!

That's Hunkyness, getting started on staining all the wood that would become benches that will eventually hold the plants.

My MIL and FIL came down for a day to help us stain ... it was a huge help!!

Hunkyness putting the benches together.

BIL Andrew helped out quite a bit too.

I spent an evening potting all the bouganvilla plants ... six total across two benches.

And voila! Here is our "wall." Isn't it pretty!?! I think it already looks so nice, and just wait until all those plants fill in!

I also bought smaller plants to put on the benches between the larger bouganvilla plants. Fills it out a bit, and adds some color. I also put two long window box-type pots underneath each bench, filled with leafy plants that don't need much sun. Lucy has already gotten into one of those and ripped out one of the plants ... but otherwise they're in tact and looking great!

Amy bought me that little duck a year ago, and now it has a nice outdoor patio to sit on!

Amy's bachelorette party ... we finished just in time! (See that beautiful bouganvilla behind her? That's what I'm hoping the rest will one day be.)

No comments: