My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

09 September 2008

i'm sick

It started on Sunday afternoon. I was happily knitting while watching TV (probably Law & Order or some other crime drama), and slowly but surely my throat started to get scratchy. You know how that can start so subtly ... you swallow and there's that tinge of feeling like your glands are swollen. I brushed it off, hoping it was nothing. But by the time Hunkyness woke up from his nap I was full-blown sick. Just like that, in two hours, I went from the tinge of "oh I hope I'm not getting sick" to "I think I'm going die." The congestion has left my head feeling like its caught in a vice and my nose is raw from the Kleenex. I slept awfully on Sunday night, my throat just getting worse and worse. In my half-asleep state in the middle of the night I started worrying I might even have something more serious like Strep. Fortunately the sore throat got better by the time I got to work yesterday morning (yes, I went to work). But the congestion has only gotten worse, and I have that all-over achy feeling of someone whose body is at war with a foreign invader. I went home yesterday at noon. I love getting off from work early, there are so many things I could get done! But I just went straight home, sat on the couch watching an NCIS marathon and knitting off and on until about 3:00, when I simply had to lay down for a nap. I woke up when Hunkyness got home. Another perk of being sick ... he took such good care of me! He made dinner AND cleaned up the kitchen.

I'm back at work today, still feeling pretty under the weather. But I slept well last night, thanks to Tylenol PM. I hate taking the stuff because it leaves me so groggy in the mornings, but sometimes you just need a good night's sleep. I don't think I changed position all night long. I don't know if I'll make it through a full day of work today. And my coworkers have made it clear they'd rather I weren't here spreading the germs. So, another afternoon nap may be calling my name. And hey, isn't it better to nip something like this in the bud than let it linger because you couldn't slow down long enough to heal? Yes, I purport, it is.

(Oh, at least its an excuse to eat as many Ricola Honey Lemon flavored cough drops as I want. I LOVE these things.)

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Oh, I hope you feel better soon!