My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

05 May 2008

city by the sea

Well, we've arrived in Bergen, Norway. This is perhaps the most beautiful little town I've ever spent time in. I wish I had pictures to share, but I don't at the moment. You'll just have to wait.

Our two days in Oslo were wet and rainy, and as I said before most of the city was shut down half the time we were there. But it was enjoyable to just wander the streets, and we even took long naps, which was nice (it can be tiring walking all day every day).

On Saturday we hopped on a train in Oslo that bore us all the way to the other side of Norway. It was a gorgeous train trip! It wound its way through picturesque village after village, with green hills and rushing rivers. As we made our way up in elevation we eventually reached what Norwegians consider a great height, nearly 2,000 feet above sea level. However, at that height we get what in America we have to be at 10,000 feet to see! There was deep snow covering EVERYTHING, and people out cross-country skiing and enjoying the winter wonderland. It was spectacular. We then descended back down toward Bergen and the sea, through more beautiful green countryside too beautiful to truly describe. Hopefully we're getting some pictures that will do it a little bit of justice.

On arriving here we went to our hotel and found it to be ... well ... a hovel. OK, it wasn't that bad, but the sticky linoleum floor and the dirty couch and the twin beds and the white walls didn't exactly exude romance and relaxation for our 5 nights here. Soooo, we found our way to the tourist center and decided to pay a little bit more and found another place in town to stay. And oh, what a difference a few dollars can make! We've ended up in a full apartment, run by a Norwegian couple, complete with a kitchen, a bedroom and a living room for relaxing. Its wonderful! We were pretty excited.

Well, there's much more to share, but not enough time or space to say it. So I leave you with this ... We will now be able to truthfully answer "yes" to the question, "So, have you ever eaten Fillet of Reindeer?"

More later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall "Eating fillet of reindeer" being on your list of things to do before you die! ;-) Or on anyone else's list either!

Glad you're having fun. I so wish I could be there with you to reminisce about my trip to Bergen 30+ years ago. I'm sure it's changed, but it was beautiful then too!

Love,
Mom Dub

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 2ND ANNIVERSARY!

Love,
Mom and Dad Dub