My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

06 December 2007

Christmas Music, part 7

For those of you already Sarah McLachlan fans, you'll definitely enjoy this Christmas album. As for me, I don't really listen to Sarah that much the rest of the year, and I still LOVE this album.

Its definitely mellow and a bit melancholy, true to Sarah form, but she has a richness to her voice that lends these Christmas songs more emotion than most vocalists are able to achieve.
She takes several of the classics and infuses them with her own unique style and some great instrumental arrangements.

"The First Noel" is my favorite, starting off slow and building to a crescendo near the end, then she drops back to slow and nearly a capella to finish with a profound, "Some call him Emmanuel, I think I'll call him Jesus" sort of epilogue to the song. Even if you just download this one song, its worth it.
She also covers "I'll Be Home for Christmas," "What Child is This," "Silent Night," "O Little Town of Bethlehem," and "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." On the last song on the album she's joined by Diana Krall for a slow but jazzy version of "Christmas Time is Here."

No comments: