My Journey through Breast Cancer

On October 11, 2013, I was diagnosed with Stage II Triple Negative Breast Cancer (TNBC) ... or as we like to call it, extreme measures for a nap (EMFN). For a while, this blog will be my cancer journal. Enter at your own risk.

20 October 2007

1st day in FL

After flying all night Thursday night, I arrived in Orlando at 6:12 a.m., Florida time. Surprisingly enough, despite having a middle seat on the flight, I slept the entire way. However, 6:12 still felt like the 3:12 it actually was in California ... and I was pretty groggy as I went looking for my one checked bag and calling Kimberly to come pick me up. Sweet Kimberly, the good friend that she is, had forgotten to turn her phone back on from being on silent the night before, and so didn't hear my 30 phone calls or my 3 text messages. She awoke lazily and on her own around 7:15, at which time she realized, to her horror, her mistake, and quickly drove over to the airport to get me. In the end, I only sat waiting for her for about an hour. We mostly laughed about it, and after she got me back to her house she let me sleep for another 3 hours. See, she really IS sweet.

She woke me up around noon, and after a shower and some lunch, we finally got ourselves up and out of the house. Kimberly has lived here about 2 years and still had never been to Tampa, so we decided to drive down there. The trip should have taken about 90 minutes, but due to some seriously bad traffic in Tampa, and having forgotten to bring a map OR directions, it was a couple hours before we finally found a beach to sit on and watch the sunset. We'd had to stop three times for directions, and once for a snack, but by the time we were sitting it was quite pleasant to watch the pelicans dive-bomb the waves and the people strolling back and forth along the white sand. Also, despite all the time spent in the car, it was great catch-up time and the conversation never stopped during our entire outing.

After dinner in a Crab Shack restaurant, we got a bit lost on our way home, too. We finally arrived back at the house around 11, and we both crashed. I slept until 10 a.m.! I guess I needed the sleep.

Today as I write, I'm still in my pajamas and its already 11:31. We've had breakfast and watched CSI. Now we need to shower and head out for the day's adventures. Today will just be girl fun with some shopping, maybe a pedicure and Kimberly's favorite Orlando restaurant. Despite its few mishaps and lost ways, its SO great to be here and get some good time with an old friend. I'll write more soon!

This was the view as we walked out on to the beach.

There's our chairs.

Me on the beach.

Kimberly on a bench outside the restaurant where we ate dinner.

No comments: